CHURCH OF SAN BARTOLOME
CHAPEL OF THE PURISIMA
The altarpiece is from the 18th century and is dominated by a polychrome wood carving of the Immaculate Conception, the work of Salvador Torres Sancho.
On the right wall of the chapel you can see a large painting depicting the birth of the Virgin.
On the left wall of the chapel, in a painting of the same dimensions, we find the Presentation of the Virgin in the temple. We observe Mary kneeling before the High Priest, and to the left of the scene are Saint Joachim and Saint Anne.
On the left side of the chapel we can see a bench with an important marquetry work where Marian symbols are represented: a mirror, a fountain, the moon and stars. We also find a space reserved for "Joaquim Coll". Let us remember that in 1712 the patronage of this chapel was given to Joan Coll. The patrons of the chapel and his family had the right of burial in the chapel and sit in the pew to attend services. Joaquín Coll Vives, who was mayor of Sóller, was buried, as can be read, on the entrance step to the chapel, on November 19, 1814. This bench is the work of Pedro Juan Grimalt (end of the 18th century).
On the right side of the chapel, another bench, also the work of Pedro Juan Grimalt, bears the Marian symbols: a well, the gate of heaven and a tower.